What is a Flagstone?
Creative Stone has had the privilege of being involved in creating beautiful spaces throughout South Africa with the help of our Creative Stone products and internal design teams. We have various products available that suit every style of architecture and design but today, we focus on our Flagstone Range.
What is a Flagstone?
A flagstone is a flat stone slab especially used for paving and can be cut from natural stone slabs or manufactured using cement and various aggregates. In this article, we will be referring to cement-based flagstones.
Our simulated stone flagstones are available in various shapes, sizes and styles.
- Because flagstones are offered in various sizes, textures, colours, and styles, you will likely find a “perfect fit” for any project.
- Flagstones are highly durable due to their composition and thickness, which generally ranges between 20mm to 55mm.
- Some of our flagstone ranges also have matching bullnose pavers / coping stones, which are available in a variety of sizes and styles for the perfect finish. These bullnoses are perfect for detailing any overhanging edges that require a safe, hardwearing, and aesthetically pleasing finish.
- Flagstone stands the test of time. Patios and other hardscape structures like walkways are considered highly tread areas. Their composition allows them to work well in high-traffic areas around your home
- Most flagstones feature some textured finish that promotes traction and makes them ideally suited for pools, patios, walkways and even driveways.
- Flagstones can be laid with spaces between them to create a permeable surface.
- Flagstone requires little to no maintenance, just sweeping and a hosing down, especially when they have been sealed with a protective sealant.
What Design or Aesthetic is Best Suited to Flagstone?
We have many different ranges of versatile flagstone pavers that can be used across different design aesthetics to transform indoor and outdoor areas into functional, stylish, and cohesive spaces.
- Modern and contemporary styles (Flamed Granite Range)
- Classical and country architectural styles (Cotswold Range)
- Old world (Antique Chateaux, Chateaux and Manor Ranges)
- Rustic (Classic Range)
- Natural and earthy style (Wood Wave Range)
What Areas are Best Suited for Flagstones?
When you add a patio to your home, you essentially add another room that can be whatever you want.
Enclose it with folding doors and you have a space that can be used year-round and in any weather conditions. It’s hard to beat the versatility of a flagstone patio and with the addition of matching bullnoses, overhanging edges and steps can be perfectly detailed.
- Entertainment areas and pools
Maybe you want a space where you can entertain a huge group of family and friends. Flagstones can be used to create a continuous floor surface linking your patio, entertainment and pool area. They can stand up to heavy foot traffic and furniture shuffling for decades. Legendary durability means you won’t have to shop for a replacement anytime soon either and once sealed flagstones can be easily washed down with a hose, so you don’t have to worry about making a mess.
- Driveways and entrances
Want to make a statement and up that curb appeal? Well, flagstones are an option.
Large format flagstones on a driveway offer a less busy and cleaner look than smaller conventional cobble paving, which will have your driveway standing out from the crowd. With various styles to choose from, you are sure to find the perfect match for your home’s architectural style.
Walkways create lines that define your landscape, guiding your guests through the major landscaping features of your garden and create containment for those features. Walkways help partition your landscape into discrete sections, defining exactly what space will be occupied by plants or other elements such as water features, etc. Walkways are the connecter that expands your useable living space out to these features.
For walkways, you can’t beat flagstone. Our large variety of shapes, sizes and colours mean you will find what you need to build a flagstone walkway that feels like a natural extension of your landscaping.
Considering alternatives to conventional tiles for inside your home? We have good news! Our Flagstones can be used indoors and outdoors, giving you a seamless look throughout the home. Whether you are going for a more modern or that old-world look, you will find a flagstone that works with your style.
If you are looking to redo your home, office, pool or garden chat with the Creative Stone team about the right Flagstones for your area.